Show Subnavigation

Please find the Tax Section that applies to you below.

Trip Tax

Certain commercial vehicles not registered or licensed in New Mexico that are transporting passengers for hire or property for hire or resale are required to pay a trip tax, in lieu of registration or use fees, for the maintenance, repair and reconstruction of the public highways (Section 7-15-3.1 NMSA 1978).  The tax is based on the weight of the vehicle and number of miles traveled in New Mexico.

The New Mexico Motor Transportation Police Division (MTPD) collects the tax and issues trip permits. The tax is typically paid at a Port of Entry. However, MTPD may authorize prepaid tip permits for trips under certain circumstance. Prepaid permits are sold in increments of no less than $50.

Revenues from trip tax are deposited in the Road Fund.

Contact Information

To contact the Department


Motor Vehicle Division
Motor Transportation Police Division
Size and Weight Enforcement
Ports of Entry

back to list
View Our Most Popular Pages & Services
Latest News:
Secretary Demesia Padilla

Secretary Demesia Padilla,CPA

Learn more about secretary Padilla

Online Services

Find an Online Service to Serve Your Needs

Taxation and Revenue New Mexico

1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87504
(505) 827-0700

TRD Home          Privacy & Security          Site Policies          Accessibility/Non-Discrimination Statement          
About Us          Contact Us      Site MapLink to New Mexico Tax and Revenue Facebook Page

call us E-Mail Contact Us