Show Subnavigation

When we receive a refund of tax we’ve already paid, it’s a lot like discovering unexpected money in the bank.

Everyone likes to see either a windowed envelope containing the state’s check arrive in the mail -- or perhaps an electronic entry in a bank statement that the refund has already been deposited safely.  

Once in a while, however, there is a problem. In the following pages you can find directions on what to do if your refund is lost; if you make a mistake in the bank’s routing number for a direct deposit of your refund, or more rarely, if another state agency intercepts your refund to satisfy a debt you owe to it or its clients. We also offer hints on how to prevent refund mistakes altogether.

Take the time to check the refund pages. Doing so can make your life a little easier.

Notices Regarding Your Refund

There are several notices we may send to you regarding a refund.

The first is a Tax Return Adjustment Notice when a return contains an error and a correction is made. This notice advises of adjustments if there are calculation errors or an incorrect figure such as tax rate. If the adjustment results in an overpayment or an underpayment, either an overpayment notice or an assessment notice follows.

We send a Refund Denial notice when a refund is denied. The notice gives you the reason and includes information on any amount of tax that may be due. 

A Notice of Overpayment advises that we have found an overpayment with your tax return or assessment. Complete form RPD-41071, Application for Tax Refund to request a refund. If it appears that the notice is not correct and an overpayment has not been made, or the amount of the overpayment in the notice is not correct, you should follow the instructions on the notice to make the correction. 

back to list
View Our Most Popular Pages & Services
Latest News:
Secretary Demesia Padilla

Secretary Demesia Padilla,CPA

Learn more about secretary Padilla

Online Services

Find an Online Service to Serve Your Needs

Taxation and Revenue New Mexico

1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87504
(505) 827-0700

TRD Home          Privacy & Security          Site Policies          Accessibility/Non-Discrimination Statement          
About Us          Contact Us      Site MapLink to New Mexico Tax and Revenue Facebook Page

call us E-Mail Contact Us