Show Subnavigation

Anyone who engages in business in New Mexico must register with the Taxation and Revenue Department (TRD).

We may make an exception if your business is exempt from gross receipts, withholding, or compensating tax by state law.

After registering you will receive a New Mexico tax identification number. Use this number to report and pay state and local option gross receipts tax, New Mexico withholding tax and compensating tax under the Combined Reporting System (CRS). Known as a CRS Identification Number, it is used to report and pay tax collected on gross receipts from business conducted in New Mexico.

Oil and Gas

A person or business that produces oil and gas must obtain an Oil and Gas Reporting Identification Number (OGRID). This is different from a CRS identification number. For information about obtaining an OGRID, please contact our Oil and Gas Bureau at (505) 827-0812. Persons or businesses that must obtain an OGRID include those that produce:

  • oil; natural gas;
  • liquid hydrocarbons;
  • carbon dioxide;
  • helium, or other non-hydrocarbon gas.

A CRS identification number is not required for those who must pay withholding tax on oil or gas proceeds payments to nonresidents of New Mexico for wells located in this state. Pay those withholdings using RPD-41284, Quarterly Oil and Gas Proceeds Withholding Tax Return.


A corporation must obtain a CRS Identification Number if it has New Mexico gross receipts, withholding or compensating taxes to report. A corporation without liability for those taxes and is not required to obtain a CRS Identification Number may still be required to file a New Mexico corporate income and franchise tax return.

A corporation also must register with the New Mexico Secretary of State's Office.

How to Apply for a CRS Identification Number

We offer two ways to obtain a CRS identification number. You can submit an ACD-31015 Business Tax Registration to any local tax office. You can also apply for a CRS identification number online.

Any entity other than a sole proprietor/individual owner that does not have employees must obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). The IRS issues this number. To contact the IRS, call 1-800-829-4933, or click FEIN online.

There is no fee to register or obtain a CRS identification number. You can return your forms to any district tax office or register online and receive a CRS identification number immediately. Applications submitted by mail are processed within one to two weeks. We then mail the CRS identification number to you. Applications for CRS identification numbers are also available at many city, village and town halls around the state. Those offices can issue a CRS identification number immediately upon processing an application. 

Special Tax Programs

There are some cases in which certain businesses need another kind of registration in addition to the CRS Number. Special registration is required for sales of cigarettes, tobacco products, and liquor, for water production, for gasoline and special fuels, and for businesses engaged in severance and resources activities. Submit form ACD-31015 Business Tax Registration, or visit your district tax office if you prefer to complete the form in person.


TRD local District Offices      

New Mexico Secretary of State

Corporations Bureau
325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300
Santa Fe, NM 87501
For assistance, please call 505-827-4508
In-State Toll-Free Phone: 1-800-477-3632
Or online –


View Our Most Popular Pages & Services
Latest News:
Secretary Demesia Padilla

Secretary Demesia Padilla,CPA

Learn more about secretary Padilla

Online Services

Find an Online Service to Serve Your Needs

Taxation and Revenue New Mexico

1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87504
(505) 827-0700

TRD Home          Privacy & Security          Site Policies          Accessibility/Non-Discrimination Statement          
About Us          Contact Us      Site MapLink to New Mexico Tax and Revenue Facebook Page

call us E-Mail Contact Us